Thursday 17 July 2014

Stress “a friend or the enemy?” #6

LLIL_LOGO_2_300x150

Mistake #6: Missing The Lesson

If you find yourself experiencing the same repeated stresses and problems over and over in your life then maybe you are missing the lesson behind them.

With every challenge we face, every crisis we deal with, and every tragedy we endure is a life lesson waiting for us to learn.

Our lessons are like gifts of learning that are wrapped in boxes called 'problems'...and sometimes it has several layers of wrapping.

When I had the difficult task of packing up my things to move to another house,  I discovered a poem  amongst some notes. I don't know who authored it (if you recognize the poem, perhaps you could let me know the author's name), but it epitomized how life presents us with stresses and problems so we can grow in strength, wisdom and character.

** The Poem **

I asked for strength - and God gave me difficulties to make me strong I asked for wisdom - and God gave me problems to solve

I asked for prosperity - and God gave me a brain and brawn to work I asked for courage - and God gave me dangers to overcome I asked for love - and God gave me troubled people to help I asked for favours - and God gave me opportunities

I received nothing I wanted

I received everything I needed      My prayer has been answered

Don't make the mistake of missing the lesson that life is trying to teach you. Realize that every challenge presents you with an opportunity to grow and stretch beyond your comfort zone.

Becoming resilient to pressure is not solely about being able to endure hardship longer than anyone else. Developing resilience is also how quickly and eloquently you can 'bounce back' from pressures that may stop others in their tracks.

By using your setbacks and obstacles as opportunities to learn something about yourself, instead of an endurance test, you gain the insight necessary to bounce back and keeping working towards your goals and ambitions.

You may find yourself working with people who you don't like perhaps so that you can learn about patience, assertiveness or acceptance. Look beyond the people and situations that make you feel stressed and see what life is trying to teach you.

In every challenging or stressful situation lies a pearl of wisdom waiting to be discovered.

You may not be able to see the learning when you are right in the middle of the crises or setback - but it's there. It may only become evident to you days or weeks after the event.

Today, get a blank notebook and write ‘Life’s Lessons’ on the front. Write down each lesson your have learnt from your setbacks and obstacles. You’ll understand why in 12 months time when you re-read your notes and see how much you have learnt about yourself.

Understand that your mistakes are really just stepping stones helping you find where the right step is by eliminating the wrong steps.

Understand that criticism is a gift that helps you improve and become stronger in areas of your work and life where you may not have known about or have been willing to look at. Rather than getting upset or worked up at situations that don't go your way, focus on what could be learnt, instead of on what was lost.

In every challenging situation, ask yourself:

a. What is this situation helping me to learn about myself?

b. What positive lesson can I get from all of this?

c. How will this situation help to make me stronger?

wpid-life_711

TO BE CONTINUED….

No comments:

Post a Comment